DIY Pineapple Facial Scrub For Acne Prone Skin
Posted on 03 June 2016
Why Does It Work
The answer is bromelain. This is an enzyme found in pineapple that is similar in characteristics to the papain enzyme found in papaya. Essentially, it breaks down protein, which means that the mask exfoliates the dead skin from your face without the use of abrasive ingredients, leaving your face fresh and glowing. This treatment hinges on live enzymes so the pineapple has to be fresh. Canned pineapple won’t work!
Homemade Pineapple Scrub for All Skin Types Recipe
You will need:
Sugar or salt of your choice
Oil of your choice
An air-tight container
First, Choose Your Exfoliant.
It comes down to sugar or salt, but as you know there are several varieties of each. I recommend four different types: plain white sugar, brown sugar, iodized table salt, and black lava sea salt.
Sugar is less abrasive than salt because it dissolves more easily. Brown sugar is the best for sensitive skin because it’s the softest. Salt exfoliates well and can help remove impurities and dead skin. Black lava sea salt also removes dead skin along with increasing cell activity.
Next, Select Your Oil.
I picked five different oils that are great for your skin: olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil, argan oil, and extra virgin coconut oil. All of these oils, except the avocado oil, are naturally antibacterial, which will help prevent any skin outbreaks.
For Very Dry Skin
Olive oil is good for really dry skin, and it won’t clog your pores.
For UVB Rays Protection and To Improve Skin Tone
Almond oil is amazing because it can reduce the effects of UVB rays, and it can help improve skin tone.
To Retain Skin Moisture
Avocado oil is extracted from the pulp of the fruit—not the seed—so it’s incredibly rich and will help your skin retain moisture.
For an Anti-aging Effect
Extra virgin coconut oil is packed with antioxidants and free radicals which help premature skin aging.
For Antibacterial And Fungicidal Properties
Argan oil has both antibacterial and fungicidal properties that help treat and prevent both fungal and bacterial skin infections.
Preparing And Applying The Mask:
You could make a scrub with just an exfoliant and these oils above, but for beautiful acne-free skin, I recommend adding pineapple. So let's get started!
1. Choose your container, and measure your exfoliant so that the container is 3/4 full.
2. Measure out your oil. You’ll want a 2-to-1 ratio. So, twice as much salt or sugar as oil.
3. Combine oil, and salt or sugar in a bowl, and stir until it's all combined.
4. Add in the pineapple chopped as finely as you can get it, and muddle the mixture together until it's all combined. You don’t want to mix it too much or the granules will start to dissolve.
5. Gradually pour into your storage container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
6. Apply the scrub gently to your face.
7. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Make sure to keep the scrub in the refrigerator if you want it to last a little longer (not your shower).